Back to my blog!

Hi!
I decided to go back to my blog because I recently have some more time for myself and because I think it could help me to better sort out my thoughts, reflections and all important tips about drawing. So it will be more a "diary" style blog of what I learn every day.

First of all I need to make a little update all of my work that I've done so far. Unfortunately, there are not so many things that I can show now. Most of works I did long time ago were mainly cartoons, not too serious commissions. Back in the day I had to do a lot of this stuff to make a living.

I've never tried to publish such works because my life goals are a little bit higher than doing only simple illustrations for kids. So yeah I was very happy when I finally got my first serious commission to make a Mech concept for HAWKEN.

"It's Too Late"



Why I'm proud of this piece despite it's not an ideal concept? This is my first drawing on which I seriously thought about everything starting from first value sketch to finished piece. I didn't have almost any difficulties during creating nor any thoughts like "Fuck, what's next?". That's why I think that without a really good sketch you'll not be able to do good looking finished piece.


"The Archer"

And this is the example of a painting I made without any sketch and thoughts. Looks much worse, isn't it? This was my first archer and dragon piece ever. The frame is too tight and there's no depth in it. Today I would do it significantly better.


"Annihilation"

My next drawing was also made without any sketch beforehand. Maybe it was a wrong decision. That piece had a great potential especially because I thought about a nice story befor trying to make it.


"Washing Time"

My next concept didn't come out as good as I expected. I knew exactly what I wanted to draw and even made a black and white sketch at the beginning. First of all, I remember that after finishing my "It's too late" piece, I had to change my taste and draw a lot of shitty cartoon style storyboards to make a living.
So I lost my sense of taste and forgot about princepals while drawing things that had nothing in common with good taste. Now I know that aside from the initial sketch, story and mood, you have to play with the light also to know where spectator should look at first and where where later. My first big mistake that occured on that one was that the focal point is on the grim reaper and not on the mother with child.


"The Red Tower" - Faster Means Better

This piece looks much better than the previous one and it's clear and peacefull. I did it in one hour so it was just a quick speed painting. Okay it's always better to have some sketches befre finish a drawing but sometimes when you really don't care about something it probably will look better than some other pieces.


However, in order to achieve the skill of good and fast drawing you must slow down a little and think over what you do and why some stuff looks that way and not the other.
Then go faster. But don’t go stupid - John Jackson Miller
You can check all of discribed images in higher quality here on my Artstation portfolio page.

Komentarze

Popularne posty